We are a specialist engineering consultancy with offices in Sydney, Brisbane and Hobart. Our areas of expertise are hydrology, hydraulics and floodplain management. We are a dynamic consultancy using design best practice and expertise in advanced computer modelling to enhance our analytical work. Our approach to each of our projects is focused on the following core principles
Communication and Consultation – Engagement of the community and other stakeholders is often critical in developing water and flood management strategies that will be successful over the long-term. Analysis of flooding and drainage issues can be highly technical, and discussion of flooding and drainage issues can often evoke strong emotions. In our experience, communities like to able to directly engage with experts to discuss matters that are important to them, and to be provided with clear and transparent information about studies that affect them. WMAwater places an emphasis on clear communication of our technical work to a wide range of audiences, and direct engagement with stakeholders.
Technical Proficiency – High quality outcomes require a strong knowledge of fundamental engineering principles, extensive practical experience, and use of appropriate tools and methodology for the task. Throughout our organisation from student interns to directors, we emphasise technical proficiency, training and professional development to stay abreast with best practice.
Flexibility – With over 25 technical staff we have the resources for a wide range of project sizes, and the flexibility to respond quickly when our clients require. We have a flat structure that encourages collaboration and facilitates knowledge transfer. Our clients tell us that they like the direct access that they receive to the staff who are working on their project.
Data Management and GIS – With the use of spatial data now fundamental to engineering and planning disciplines, efficient management and utilisation of data is important for many projects. All of our engineering staff are trained in the use of GIS systems including MapInfo, Arc and others, and we can efficiently develop custom software tools or plug-ins for specific applications when required.
WMAwater was established in 1983, and remains 100% employee owned. We are committed to producing superior outcomes through application of our technical expertise and experience across a range of water engineering disciplines. Notable features of WMAwater include the following:
- since our inception in 1983, we have matured to become one of the largest specialist flood analysis teams in Australia, and have the capacity and depth to deliver outcomes for a broad range of flood projects;
- due to increasing demand for our services in Queensland, particularly since the 2011 floods, we have recently opened an office in Brisbane;
- we have recently opened an office in Hobart to add depth to our capabilities in dam hydrology, forecasting, hydropower hydrology, yield and reliability studies.
- completion of flood studies or modelling review work for over 65 different local Councils;
- depth of resources, with over 17 professional engineering staff having recent experience undertaking major catchment flood studies;
- a high degree of familiarity with requirements of stakeholders such as the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) and the State Emergency Services (SES);
- low staff turnover;
- wholly owned by staff, with all projects overseen by a director and associate with an equity stake in the Firm; and
- a commitment to professional and industry development with primary authorship of over 36 papers on flooding and floodplain management, flood forecasting and climate change impacts, and a presence on key industry committees.
The firm follows the principles of ecologically sustainable development and has a commitment to quality, which is evident in the products we produce and our professional approach to all projects (big or small). Community consultation is an integral part of our work, and we value the ability to clearly communicate the outcomes of our technical work to a wide range of audiences.
Systems and Quality Assurance
WMAwater’s Quality Assurance System is ISO 9001:2008 certified in the scope of “Engineering consultancy in hydrology, hydraulics and floodplain management” and is current until 9 July 2018.
WMAwater’s Environmental Management System is ISO 14001:2004 certified in the scope of “Engineering consultancy in hydrology, hydraulics and floodplain management” and is current until 9 July 2018.
WMAwater’s Occupational Health and Safety Management System is OHSAS 18001:2007 certified in the scope of “Engineering consultancy in hydrology, hydraulics and floodplain management” and is current until 9 July 2018.
These certifications are valid for both our Sydney and Brisbane offices.
Queensland Local Government Procurement
WMAwater is listed on the Registered of Pre-Qualified Suppliers (RPQS) in Queensland in the following categories:
- Engineering Consultancy (BUS 226-0212)
- Planning and Design Consultancy (BUS 245-0314)